Wednesday, June 12, 2013

What if?

The Extra Penny
~ What If? ~

When I lived in Virginia I had a t-shirt that read at the top “What if…” and had a long line of really cool what-ifs. Many of the what-ifs could actually happen while some of the what-ifs were impossible, like, “what if dolphins could talk?” I think that’d be really cool myself, but you get the point.

I have thought a lot about what if lately. We all hear “What would you do if you knew you wouldn't fail?”  To lead into this you should know that I am a very peaceful, down-to-earth person.  I do like to think about the what-if’s that could be real. Given that I am really ready to be real with everyone (and you will read that in this blog), I think I’ll throw out some what if’s for your consideration.

I would do a million things, but let’s get real. Here we go with my own What If’s…

What if? If I knew I wouldn't fail? I would write the book I know I want to write. The problem is that I don’t know what kind of book I would write or to what audience. I think I would write to you, about life, about what is good, not so good, trying to make you laugh, think, reflect, etc. The problem is I am afraid of failure. What if? What if I really became a motivational speaker and taught young ladies the crucial importance of respecting themselves and insisting that others respect them. What if I really talked to members of my family who didn't have faith in God, about God and his amazing grace? I would tell them how He isn't the same god we were so afraid of while we were growing up, rather, a God of grace and forgiveness, and love. What if I could tell people that I love, that I really love them with no expectations of reciprocation? Just tell them because I do. What if I did that?  

What If… I couldn't fail… I would try comedy maybe. I would run a half-marathon, or a marathon even. I have discovered that I don’t want to do distance runs though, I love short runs… so maybe I would just keep ‘happy running’. I would decorate! I love decorating! I would find out more about my background…. My father… his family.

What about you? What if? What if you made that phone call today? What if you forgave the unforgivable? What if you visited the person you *think* doesn't want to see you? What if you laughed a little more? What if you laughed out loud in private? What if you looked at yourself in the mirror and told yourself you are beautiful? What if you are walking with your child, no matter how old, and you took their hand to hold? What if you called someone just to say I’m thinking about you? Not text, call? What if you laughed at something you think you should be mad about? What if you hugged a stranger? (be careful!) What if you tipped extra big or left a kind note for a wait person? What if you sent a card to someone you hardly knew just letting them know you had them in your thoughts? What if? What if you go WAY out on a limb? It could turn your life around. It could. You don’t know. Someone may be waiting to hear from you. Someone may love you back. Someone may miss you or may just need to hear a kind word today. Someone may want to hold your hand. Your child may want to hold your hand. What if?

And what if dolphins could talk? I think they know secrets. I think they would tell us to live big, HUGE! Fearless. What do you have to lose?

What if?

Peace and love,
Becky
June 12, 2013


No comments:

Post a Comment

2020 - Not All Hindsight

           Whew! It’s now 2021 and we can officially kick 2020 to the curb until the third week of the month where it will be picked up by o...