Friday, June 29, 2012

I'd be More Comfortable if...

"I'd be more comfortable if..."

How many times have we used this phrase preceding something we turned down or something we felt needed to be modified to our own relief?

Comfort. We like it, don't we? Of course we do! We like our little comfort zone as much as we like getting our way and having things turn out at our easiest convenience. Comfort.

I'm writing on this because those are the exact words I was typing yesterday when I was hit with the realization that I have recently been thrown out of my comfort zone so often that the word "comfort" no longer really fits into my vocabulary. I literally cracked a smile as I typed the phrase, stopped typing, and picked the phone up to call the person to whom I was responding. More on that in a minute.

My prayer for myself lately has been that God uses me for His will, to do what He needs me to do to get the word out on how gracious He is. My prayers have been more like discussions with God; letting Him know that I'm ready, all in, for whatever He has prepared for me. Boy, I didn't realize how out of my comfort zone He was going to push me! But you know what? It's kind of like riding a roller coaster. It's an electric awakening! I'm thrilled because I have no idea what to anticipate, but I know I'm fastened in by His promises. I always loved a good roller coaster ride, but they surely aren't comfortable.

About a year ago I was asked to do the announcements and lead a prayer for a couple of weeks in my church. Being raised much more conservatively, this was way out of my comfort zone, but I took the challenge. I stammered my way through the first time or two (do you have any idea how bright the lights are on the stage?!?!), but had more fun as the following times approached. It was awesome! I felt sorrier for the people in the congregation who saw me with a microphone and no agenda written down!

Being a first year school counselor this past year after many years of teaching elementary school, I found that there is no such thing as a comfort zone there anymore. I have to deal with DHR, confused, angry and scared students as well as parents and teachers. Staying within my comfort zone would surely mean short-changing some child or family who needed help and really, that makes my zone look pretty negligent and minute. People are hurting. There is no room for my zone.

Recently I have been asked to speak at a place that our church regularly speaks one night a month on Wednesday. That really isn't a big deal for a lot of people, but I felt the blood drain out of my face. I was fine when I thought my night would be later in the year but when it quickly was moved to much earlier I began to respond, "I would be more comfortable with..." That was when it hit me. There will never be a good time to be comfortable with these changes God is making in me. Change just isn't comfortable. Period. But it's so good to look back and see the growth.

You know, God never asks anything of us without equipping us with what we need. Never. So really, it's kind of exciting to get out of that old comfort zone. In fact I told my pastor yesterday that the old comfort zone is sort of like oatmeal to me now. I taste new things and it's deliciously exciting! I have no idea what God has in store for me. I have no idea what this roller coaster ride is going to be like. I do know that God has me. Comfortable? Not always! Equipped? You bet! Hands up! Here we go!

Becky W.
June 29, 2012


 

3 comments:

  1. I love your blog!!! :-) ...this is a perfect place for your wonderful writings! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, S! Your encouragement means sooooo much!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this Becky! What a great reminder. Keep posting- its very helpful and uplifting to me in my new life as a mom!!

    ReplyDelete

2020 - Not All Hindsight

           Whew! It’s now 2021 and we can officially kick 2020 to the curb until the third week of the month where it will be picked up by o...