Thursday, June 28, 2012

Idealistic

The Extra Penny

I’m Idealistic

I’m idealistic. I have heard my whole life that I am idealistic. On the other hand, I have also been told “You think too much.” So maybe I’m grounded as well. I’m not really sure how one person can go from extreme to the other unless I am thinking a lot about being idealistic.

Anyway, I used to apologize for the trait of being idealistic. Now, I think I’ll say ‘thank-you’. It takes all types to make the world turn. I was always the kid that liked the rainbows, glitter, and unicorns. I believed in the unbelievable. I still do. On the other hand I can think a situation so deep that it almost ceases to exist anymore… like unicorns. I guess it’s not that different. Anyway, I’m idealistic and I’m glad that I am because I equate that with being positive. I have always seen the positive side of things, as long as I don’t dwell on them too terribly. I think that we do create our own fortune. I can choose to ‘idealize’ what I want or go with what everyone else seems to think should happen. I choose my own path.

If much has been learned over the years, it has been that I regret what I haven’t done. I regret what I have thought into oblivion and not acted upon. I wish I had just done more; acted more, and not cared about what anyone else thought (“You’re so idealistic”). I wanted to teach in Alaska for a while. I didn’t. I wanted to go overseas and do mission work with children. I haven’t (yet). I want to live on the water before I die (I’m not dead yet). My step-dad used to say I was part gypsy. That’s ok. I know I’m different. I want to live everywhere I visit… Lexington, KY, or Scotland here I come. Lol Seriously, Sometimes I wonder why we work so hard. I know, I know, ideals don’t pay bills, but really, why are we working so hard? I love what I do. I will continue to love what I do because I will never again do what I don’t love.

My point is, in the end, and I can ONLY speak for myself, I know that I won’t be thinking ‘Gee, I wish I had spent more time in school’ or ‘I wish I had gotten that third or fourth degree’…. FOR ME I will be thinking ‘Wow, it was worth those few months living on the water’, or ‘Those years teaching the children in _________’ were amazing!’ I get excited to see what God can do next. I am working at getting away from ‘thinking too much’ although as a single mom and counselor, that sort of comes with this territory. It takes all types and I’m grateful for those more ‘grounded’. We shouldn’t judge. Maybe we could even learn from each other. A little idealism might add a little color? And a little ‘thinking too much’ might ground us… hmmmmm Just some thoughts for the evening… I think I’ll get out my glitter pens and color J

Becky W.

May 22, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

2020 - Not All Hindsight

           Whew! It’s now 2021 and we can officially kick 2020 to the curb until the third week of the month where it will be picked up by o...