Thursday, June 28, 2012

Not a Number

More than a number.
I have realized so many times that I am so much more than a number. So are you. I guess I felt compelled to write about it tonight when I walked passed my bathroom scale and said to myself “You forgot to weigh yourself”, and then in the same breath I replied to myself “You are not that number.”

How often are we asked to give a number for identification? How often are we associated with a number? I am not a number. I am not the number on the scale or a BMI. I am not a Social Security number. I am not an account number, an invoice number, a check number, a routing number or a checking account number. I am not a checking account balance or a savings balance or a retirement amount. I am not a PIN number, Rep number, order number, or number in line. I am not 8/04/69. I am not 2 divorces. I am not single. I am not 2 kids. I am not ‘middle’ or second. I am not 42. I am not employee number, patient number, mortgage number or house number. I am not a badge number, birth certificate number, driver’s license number. I am not SAT, OLSAT, Dibel, ARMT, ACT, SAT, GPA, NTE, GRE or Praxis. I am not a student number, visitor number, or member number, or room number. I am Becky.

I *am* created in the image of God (Gen. 1:27) there is no number here. It isn’t written that I was created child #1,344,355 in God’s image. We were created in His image. Period. No number. God is infinite. We are infinite. Recently I was on the back porch, staring at the stars. It had been a hard day. I heard my son walk up behind me. I said “The Bible says he knows the names of each star (Psalms 147:4) and sometimes I wonder if He really remembers mine” and my son in his wonderful wisdom said “Of course He knows your name, Mom; he even knows how many hairs are on your head at this very minute”. I realized, to God, there are no numbers. We are His and we are Him. I also realized I have one amazing son (and daughter).

I am not a number. I am God’s. I am love. I am infinite. You are not a number. You are. We are. We are. We are.

Becky W.
April 13, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

2020 - Not All Hindsight

           Whew! It’s now 2021 and we can officially kick 2020 to the curb until the third week of the month where it will be picked up by o...