Thursday, June 28, 2012

Dining Alone on the Patio

The Extra Penny

Dining Alone on the Patio



As I’m writing this, I have only been home a few moments, but I took the long way home to write this in my mind. I have no problem dining alone, and actually cherish it at times. There are some local authentic restaurants that allow wonderful patio seating, people watching, great wine, and awesome service whether you are catching up with a friend, or nose deep in a tranquil read. This afternoon, I was nose deep.



So, as I walk in and ask for the patio, the hostess informs me that “Ok, but there are storms coming”. I replied with an “Okay.” She then impressed on me “I mean a downpour… in about an hour”. To which I again replied, “Okay”. So I sat outside. It was beautiful; the weather, the breeze, the clouds, my server (more on her in a minute).



Ordering my Angeline (Russian River, a friend would be so proud), I told my server that I was planning on having a glass of wine and reading for a while, she perked up mentioning how nice it would be on an afternoon like this to just chill like I am (I even kicked my flops off). I said “Well, I fear that people are letting the threat of the weather keep them from appreciating the patio and how beautiful it is out here”. I was right. I was the only one on the patio all evening. I read, had my wine, read some more, had an appetizer, watched people come and go and wondered why do our fears of what might happen keep us from enjoying what already is?? I am the chief of all sinners when it comes to this, but really, why do we let our fears keep us from doing what we want to? So what if the downpour came? I could have gone inside at that point, AND had a good story to tell and maybe an inner hearty chuckle… OR maybe I would have sat under the tiny awning and let it downpour all around me watching others make a run for their cars. Why are we so afraid? For two good hours no one sat outside in the breezy overcast evening for “fear of the weather”.



My server, with whom I am now on a first name basis, and who is magnificently coming into her own (I see me 22 years ago before I got terribly sidetracked) said “Becky, you missed the drama inside, be glad you were out here!” It seems a guy had three Mai Thais and threw up on his table. Glad I listened to my authentic self and sat outside to people watch, read, listen and just be.



BTW, the rains have still not started, but it’s getting ominous. Yea! We need rain. I’m glad the weather held off because I had the most awesome date with myself just being out and enjoying great food, wine, reading, and meeting someone new. I enjoyed reminding myself that we don’t have to be afraid of things that may and probably will never happen. I may have a new mantra.



What about you? What do you fear that may never happen? And what if it did? We usually handle things pretty well. I had a friend tell me once that I’m like a cat, always landing on my feet. But aren't we all? And while I don’t like cats, I like that analogy...AND I like dining on patios when the weather is ‘iffy’…

Just now, I hear the thunder… :) Bring it!



Becky W.

June 11, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

2020 - Not All Hindsight

           Whew! It’s now 2021 and we can officially kick 2020 to the curb until the third week of the month where it will be picked up by o...