Monday, July 16, 2012

Picks, a Pig, and a Thousand Fireflies

                                                                                                     

I am always amazed at what brings people together, but even more in awe of what keeps them together. It’s easy to begin a tradition with the promise of fun, but attending my 3rd Hay Holler Pick this year really touched my soul and opened my eyes to what keeps things going for those who truly hold dear what is important in our short stay on this earth.

When you first arrive at Mr. Kerry and Ms. Sula’s beautiful country homestead I swear your blood pressure drops 20 pts. at, not just the beauty of their home, yard, flowers and garden, but also at the majestic mountains that seem to have been placed there just for their own personal viewing and protection from the rest of the world. You won’t hear any noise really, except the occasional car winding down the road or the gravel from another car pulling up. But as you draw near the house the distinct sounds of laughter, porch swing chains, pots and pans from the kitchen, and oh yeah, MUSIC livens up the sleepy mountains.

As I mentioned this was my 3rd pick to attend (for the record, it was the 34th annual for them!) and unfortunately my kids didn’t come this time; they were having their own fun in FL watching Blue Angels fly around. I never felt alone, however, it’s impossible. Everyone who attends Hay Holler knows everyone and if they don’t when they get there, there’s a really good chance they will when they leave. I remembered a lot of faces and I was remembered as “Becky, Susan’s friend from Alabama”. I wear that title with great pride! There were times I would walk around and just absorb all the “goings on” around the place; all the “remember whens” I heard, how many times I heard all the younger cousins say how much they missed Brice (it was his first miss in 17 years). I asked Harper Grace, my new 8 yr. old friend to take my camera and just go around taking pictures. The world needs more fresh eyes I think and more kids need cameras (Her mom says she has one J). She really captured the personality of the pick (see my Facebook page if you haven’t already). Walking around I soaked in the incredible music; the mandolin, fiddle, bass, guitars, banjos and everything else you can imagine.  I listened to the guys harmonize the most beautiful (and funny) songs and have the time of their lives with it! Even as the thunder and lightning rolled in, they played…. As night fell, they played. And the kids caught a thousand fireflies.

I watched as my soul was truly at peace being surrounded by the kindest souls I have met. I wish everyone could stop and realize this is what life is really about. It’s about amazingly great bar-b-q, sweet music, friends who offer a place for you to lay your head at night the next time you’re in town. Life is about taking random pictures with your camera and your heart. It’s about making new friends and reacquainting yourself with old ones. It’s about sitting in a porch swing with someone you don’t know and a couple of hours later, knowing you could trust them with your secrets. Life is about learning a new tail-gating game (in the rain) and being really bad at it but laughing your way through it. It’s about “Let me freshen your beverage”, “Can I get you anything?”, “What can I do to help?”, “How’s your crew doing?” and “Look! I caught a thousand fireflies!” 

So to Susan, my soul sister and her entire family, sisters, brother, nieces, Mr. Kerry and Ms. Sula… thank you for sharing the weekend with me and with sooo many others. I don’t think you realize how much it means. To all of those there, it was an honor to spend time with you… I have pictures with which to blackmail you now, ha! My love to all of you. To those of you who read this, my prayer for you is that you truly take time to slow down with folks you know and don’t know but want to, sit on the swing, talk a bit, listen to some music, look around you… and maybe catch some fireflies.

Becky Wilkenson
**If you aren't on FB and want to see the pix, here is the link

 
July 16, 2012




2 comments:

  1. Oh. My. Goodness. !!! Love, love, love, how you captured this wonderful family tradition of mine. "Soul Sister" obviously doesn't even begin to explain me and you... not sure any word(s) can. :-) Thank you for writing so beautifully. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful post! Really captures what the Pick In is all about...thanks for the read!!

    ReplyDelete

2020 - Not All Hindsight

           Whew! It’s now 2021 and we can officially kick 2020 to the curb until the third week of the month where it will be picked up by o...