Thursday, June 28, 2012

First Impressions ~ Not so Much

The Extra Penny

First Impressions…Not so much

I am sitting on my back porch. Those of you who know me know what solitude it brings me. Those of you who have been there, know the conversations that have taken place… the laughter, the tears, the trust. I look around and it hits me that it is looking pretty pitiful now… my backyard. My kids’ play area is rather dilapidated. I have a back porch swing that is made of wood (now) that has seen better days. Then there is the dead weeping willow.

I was thinking that if you were a first time guest you would wonder why I have a dilapidated play area in my back yard. At first glance it is sad… paint chipping, railing and swings down, etc. But allow me a moment to tell you about its heart. It was built by my kids’ father’s own hand, from oak from my parents’ land. He carefully crafted each section, painted it, and hung each swing, climbing rope, etc. Before finally deciding to tear it down a couple of years ago, after every child in the neighborhood had played on it for YEARS, we gave it one more go… each child grabbed a paint brush and we freshened it up. But now, it’s tired and ready to retire. We have one slab the kids have begun to carve their name into. That’s for me to keep. On the surface, first impression, pitiful; at heart… memories beyond any mom’s wildest dream of kool-aid days and lightening bug nights.

Then there is the swing; given to me by my son for my 3rd Mother’s Day. I was VERY pregnant with my daughter and we all used it lovingly. The cushions wore and tore but the frame was fine, so the kids’ dad made slats from oak (from my parents’ land) and rebuilt the swing. It looks sad at this point but is very sturdy and we all still sit in it, on the porch and swing. On the surface, first impression, a little worn; at heart…memories of talks, naps, kids, tears and laughter.

The willows. I have two. We planted them soon after we moved here. They both thrived for years when a year or two ago I noticed one began to look a little spindly, for lack of better word. My mom is so precious and always giving me things to plant. Were it not for her, this would be a brick plantation. So one finally met its creator last year but stands stick tall very close to its lush green partner. I haven’t cut it down yet. It has been there for so long, it has seen dozens of mowings, hundreds of golf balls, softballs, baseballs, kids, footballs, and my dogs….heavens the dogs! On the surface, an eyesore; at heart…memories of branches in the face while mowing, marking off where our ‘pool will be one day’, bases while playing ball, and ‘thank goodness the tree caught the ball before it landed in Mr. Dan’s yard’.

So, come on over and sit on the swing and enjoy the solitude on my prized back porch. Just know what to expect. :)On the surface, we’re rough, pitiful, run down, and sad looking. If we all just look a little closer and get to know each other a little better, it’s pretty intriguing the stories that come with all the paint chips, warped wood and dead trees. In fact, I worry about anyone who has the picture perfect yard. First impressions… if you judge by them, you get what you see…for a short time. But get to know someone… it is SO worth the experience and lightening bug nights.

Becky Wilkenson
May 21, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

2020 - Not All Hindsight

           Whew! It’s now 2021 and we can officially kick 2020 to the curb until the third week of the month where it will be picked up by o...