Wednesday, April 8, 2015

"Just" Sayin'

My friend Joe unknowingly gave me a better title for this :)

It amazes me the times that these postings come to my mind; while I'm driving with my roof open, cleaning my house, brushing, flossing. You never know....This one has been whirring around for a while, but I really feel compelled to write about it tonight.

How often do we pray or ask or make a request while using the word "just"? For example: Just let me get through the week. Just let my kids get through this school year! Just let me pass this exam. Just let me find someone kind. Just don't let me kill him! Just.  Just. Just.

Just is such a limiting word. It wasn't that long ago that I was praying and I used the stale and highly-overused word "just". The sound of it in my mind for some reason really stung that day. I won't say what it was about, but I really had to pause and ask myself, "Is that really all you want? Just that? What if that's all you're given?" I had sort of an epiphany on that 4-letter word that day.

Just. I realize we say it all the time and it has become all too common for us to say things like, "Lord, just get me to the weekend!" (and I have NOT said that 45 times this week. Not. Me. Have not.) But I'm talking about when we seriously ask for things. Especially when we ask God for things.

I'm not God. (Pausing for whatever reaction you may have) Seriously, I wonder what reaction the creator of the universe has when we put the "just" limits on Him. Think about it. God scatters the incredibly beautiful stars. He causes the sun to rise and set daily. He breathes life into nature in such a way that we ourselves are nearly breathless and we "just" want to make a passing grade in biology?!!? Just? Just let me be on time... Just let me arrive safely... Just... What is supposed to happen after the Just???

Here's something a little closer to home.... I grew and gave birth to two amazing children whom I absolutely adore. I can not imagine my life without them. If they came to me and said, "Ya know, Mom, I just need some food and a little water to survive,...I'll figure out the rest. Oh, and I just need a blanket 'cause it's 23 degrees, that's all. Just a blanket..." I can't even fathom that situation and neither can you! Our God, our creator is so passionately in love with us that for us to want "just" must seriously be a tad of a sting to Him. Just? Really?

For a long time now I have tried to rid "just" from my vocabulary when I talk to God about what I want. He already knows what I need and want as well. Why hold back? He is the provider of all providers! I don't for one second think I deserve anything. His grace and love provide in my shortcomings. But He craves for me and you to come to Him with our wants and desires. "Just" doesn't seem to cut it when talking to the One who scattered the stars.

My challenge to you is to think of yourself as better than Just. You don't deserve Just anyone. You don't deserve Just any job. You don't deserve Just anything. Be specific. Ask God for BIG! Take the limits off your expectations of God. Not because you or I deserve His goodness, so to speak, but because that's what parents do for their children. And thank Him for being more than Just. You aren't Just anyone. He isn't Just any God. Don't settle for Just anything. I challenge you to get rid of "Just". It's just a 4-letter word anyway!

Not Just anyone,
Someone,
Becky
April 8, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment

2020 - Not All Hindsight

           Whew! It’s now 2021 and we can officially kick 2020 to the curb until the third week of the month where it will be picked up by o...