Monday, October 21, 2013

Who's your ICE?

Who is your ICE? You know… your “In Case of Emergency” contact? Don’t inbox me. It’s a rhetorical question for the most part, but did you immediately think of someone? Your spouse? Your significant other?

Nothing makes you contemplate your life like going to the doctor and filling out new forms. I had that experience again today. Oh, it’s fun! “Emergency Contact Information” to me is like nails down a chalkboard. It’s not that I don’t HAVE it, it’s that when it comes time to fill that out I am reminded that I still put my ex-husband down as my ICE.  We have been divorced for 8 years. Yes, he knows he's my contact (at least I think he does). I also put my sisters and mom if there is room. To me that question is like “List your hobbies”. When I know in fact I haven’t had many since sometime like 1993.

ICE. In Case of Emergency. It’s innocent enough and it’s a good thing for people to know, right? Who do we contact? And why is Becky writing about it? Because people who have been alone for a while whether because of divorce or being widowed sit with the stupid pen that almost always only half-way works, hovering over this. We have to think about it. Who is my ICE? Who cares if I totally fall out here in the doctor’s office? Who knows I’m AT the doctor’s office? Who would even know my full name if the doctor calls them?  Rebecca Who?

It makes me think of single mom friends who move. Who do you list if you don’t know anyone? How do you feel when your pen hovers over the line and you have to leave it blank? I thought about certain people that I actually know who have faced this. I realize, though, there is something we can do! If someone is new to your church, your school, or your neighborhood and you know they don’t know anyone yet, ask them to lunch… get to know them. Let them know you aren’t ‘cray cray’ as we say and let them know you are safe to add as an emergency contact for them and for their kids if they have them as well. Let them know that if something happens you have their back. Let them know you’re safe to get their kids from school if they get stuck somewhere. I promise you, I have this struggle and I HAVE support, so I can only *imagine* what it feels like to be new, alone, and not have an ICE. They will SO appreciate the gesture!

I hate filling out new forms. I do have some hobbies and I do have emergency contacts (although I could not for the life of me remember my sisters’ phone numbers… they were in my phone… at home!). I hate filling out forms almost as much as I hate when they take my blood pressure and weigh me. I think that, in and of itself, almost makes me fall out! I just hope Todd answers his phone when he gets that call… “Hello, sir… do you know a Ms. Rebecca Wilkenson? We just took her blood pressure and weighed her….you were listed as her ICE…”

Urgently,
Becky

October 21, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

2020 - Not All Hindsight

           Whew! It’s now 2021 and we can officially kick 2020 to the curb until the third week of the month where it will be picked up by o...