Monday, July 7, 2014

Reflections from the Greenway

            I love nature! I really do! I don’t love it when it’s too hot, too cold, or too buggy. Otherwise I absolutely love being outside. Many of you know that my back porch is my oasis with a good book, a cup of coffee, or a glass of wine. I prefer a walking trail to the treadmill, and though it may be 90 degrees, I will have my roof open and windows down just to feel the wind.

            This morning I went for a long walk at the greenway and had many reflections. Some were shallow simple reflections while others were somewhat deep. I often skip taking my phone and the music when I go to the greenway because the birds, crickets, the stream, and “Good mornings!” are a harmonious symphony to me to which nothing else compares. I also seem to smell the wildflowers and honeysuckle a little better.

            Some of my simpler reflections were things such as:
  1.      If you aren't feeling particularly social or happy, go to the greenway. Most everyone will smile and bid you a good morning J.
  2.      No one cares what you look like; whether or not you have on make-up, a sloppy bun, whether or not you have the thigh-gap (who really has this? And those of us who don’t are *that* much closer to being a mermaid… and who doesn’t want to be a mermaid? We win!).
  3.  Everyone is there for themselves; to be in touch with themselves or with nature, or God. No one is there to judge you.
  4.    You shouldn’t forget your water. You may become cranky. Just sayin’.
  5.   The greenway should smell like nature; grass and wildflowers and perhaps faintly of Tide or Downy due to clean clothes, but never like heavy perfume or cologne (ok that was a small rant).
  6.    Although I still have a quick pace, I walk more than I run now. Sometimes I do both but when I walk I can take in more nature and enjoy more. When women run past me I secretly cheer them on with a “You go girl!” because I know it’s not easy.
  7.  Coconut oil makes a great, lightly scented body moisturizer/natural spf. :) Really.

These were just a few of my simpler thinkings as I ambled along this morning. I try to reign in my brain because many times as I take these long walks, I make them “prayer walks”. I have to purposefully remove myself from people, media, etc. to have quiet time. Sometimes my prayer walks are simply to thank God for so many things, people, and situations, specifically, that I realize I take for granted. Sometimes I talk to him in my head about what’s going on and ask what I need to listen for to help make things better. Today I was especially thankful for so many things and found myself realizing how often we look for there to be something to “fix”.


      Because my brain works the way it does (and thank God he knows it, made me this way, and has a great sense of humor so He just rolls with me on this) I ended up thinking about how far I’ve come (and yes, how far I have to go) with letting things go. I am not a control freak about things per se. I am actually pretty laid back about most things. Where I AM a control freak is in thinking about things and trying to “figure them out and make them make sense” when sometimes things are just simply nonsensical. I don’t like that. I don’t like it at all. I have been known to say “It’s just magic” if something doesn’t fit quiet right into my thinking because even magic is something and makes more sense than not making sense. Did that make sense? It did in my head.

Anyway, I had sort of an epiphany and my epiphanies seem to be long and drawn out, so I’ve been facing this one for a while (dear friends of mine will have to remind me of it in a month or two because I often forget them as well), but here it is: It isn’t our job to make sense of everything. Are you wowed? You should be wowed. My close friends are saying “By George, I think she’s got it!” For me to come to accept this is remarkable. Deep thinking is what I have done since birth and will continue to do, and figuring things out is something I've always done well. I think that’s what makes me love my job and very good at my job, but it has also made me and others close to me absolutely insane at times. It has cost me friendships and relationships and many sleepless nights and a lot of laughter. Why? Because our creator did not put me or anyone else here to figure it all out.  (Insert “BAM”)

I tell Liam and Mary Abbott often, “It’s my job to be your mom. I’m here to make sure you are fed, clothed, educated, etc.”  I realize that God made me on purpose. He made *us* on purpose and it is His job to take care of us. It is HIS  job to figure everything out. My sister has a little girl going through her “terrible twos” (I didn't have the heart to tell her it goes on until 3 or 4) but I think we do that to God throughout our entire life. We try to fix things, maneuver things, manipulate things to get what we want and as we lay exhausted on the floor at our worst, after having yet another temper tantrum our Father picks us up and holds us close and asks, “Are you finished? Now hand me your life, all of it, and I’ll take care of it. I created it and I know how to fix it.” We, as His children have to hand it to Him. All of it. Most of us have had a child bring us something to fix but they have refused to let it go. We can’t fix what they won’t let go. Neither can He. We must face that we can’t do it. Not that we can’t do it alone, but dear God we can’t do it. Period. He does.

A dear and wonderful man spoke at church yesterday and he kept saying that he refused for years to give God credit for all the opportunities that He had placed in front of him. I think we so often cruise along in life forgetting these things. Maybe that’s when we unplug, leave the music at home, take a long walk and simply thank Him for having it figured out for us. Thank Him that we don’t have to because God knows most of us can’t make sense of things anyway.

So, take a walk, smile at people, say “good morning”, and wear God on your face. Take your water bottle… it’s warm out there. And don’t think too much. It’s not your job.

Happily,
Becky

July 7, 2014

*Photo: Madison, AL Official Website
http://www.ci.madison.al.us/index.aspx?NID=681

No comments:

Post a Comment

2020 - Not All Hindsight

           Whew! It’s now 2021 and we can officially kick 2020 to the curb until the third week of the month where it will be picked up by o...