Sunday, February 9, 2014

What Do I Do? One School Counselor's Answer

What do I do? Seriously. There are days that I wonder what in the world I need to do, but I’m referring to being asked that question. This past week was National School Counselor’s Week. Most people don’t realize that. Most people don’t even realize what school counselors do. A lot of people will ask me, “So what is it exactly that you do?” I don’t mind. I don’t expect people to know because I didn’t have a clue until I jumped head first into this position roughly three years ago. Like most professions, no class, book, or even internship can prepare you for the real world.

If you were to look at the job description (I’m not sure there really is one, but play along with me here) you would see that we are to spend most of our time in individual and group counseling with the remainder of our time in guidance classes teaching character education lessons. Seems simple enough, right? Remember when I said that I’m not so sure there is a job description? Scratch that. I am absolutely positive we have no job description. But here’s a snippit of what we do:

School counselors and any counselor who works with children help children learn to trust. We have little time to “build rapport” so we have to be very creative and use lots of coloring books, modeling clay, board games, etc, to help the children to understand that we don’t cheat at Candy Land, that we really do listen to what they are saying, and that we believe them. Instead of berating them for wetting their pants, we quietly slip them a bag with fresh clean underwear and pants, discreetly giving them instructions for changing themselves in the bathroom, while trying to talk to them about other really important things, like Sophia the First, or video games to help them keep their dignity instead of them being embarrassed. We are often able to realize that a bruise “that size” couldn’t have been made by your two-year old little sister and we have to make judgment calls that keep us awake at night. We keep snacks for kids we know that don’t get enough to eat, clothes for those who aren’t properly dressed; coats, socks, shoes, gloves, underwear, soap, deodorant, brushes, etc for those who are in need. We talk to parents who are afraid and who are crying because little Johnny just “hasn’t been himself” lately and can we please talk to him? We tutor individual kids during the school day sometimes because they simply cannot function in the classroom for one reason or another. We remove children from situations and let them cool off in our office and give them tips on how to calm down without trying to knock out a class mate or teacher. We work with other schools on school records, transferring students, and other school counselors on transient children whose parents rent-dodge. We work with lawyers, social workers, and cops. Many partner with churches to make sure children have enough food to eat on weekends. Oh, and the testing. I haven’t EVEN touched on testing yet. In fact, I’ll just say that all the testing that’s done, the books that have to be counted in and out every single day, the fact that you feel you should be surrounded by armed guards for 2 weeks in the spring… that? Yeah, usually done by school counselors. School counselors follow up on concerned calls from teachers regarding students with excessive absences, falling grades, or who are constantly falling asleep in class. We make snow-cones on field day J.  Don’t forget class rotations. We teach guidance classes every week in all that free time we have. We are often in charge of things like 504’s, Red Ribbon Week planning, GIVE program planning, Impact Aid cards, and other things that you’re probably saying “What’s that?” to. The high school and even middle school counselors deal with much of this, as well as kids who are on drugs, alcohol, pregnant, dropping out, failing, barely getting by, working and trying to make the grade, getting kids scholarships etc.

With this being just a sample of things that I can come up with off the top of my head in about five minutes flat, why in the world do I think I have the best job ever?  How do I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that this is exactly what God wants me to be doing right now? I know because of the bitty that starts back to class and turns around to run back and hug me and say “I love you!” after a rough session; because of the student that comes in and sits down with tears in their eyes who says “You’re the only person I can talk to”; because of the parent who emails saying, “We need help, can you help us?” I know because of the anonymous sweet notes I find in my box. We all do this because of parents who trust us, and children who need us. We do this because we can see beyond the here and now and into the future, past the tear filled eyes and low grades. We can see the potential, the light, and the hope. We know that sometimes it simply takes having one person believe in you to help you believe in yourself.

So many of these kids may never remember me or anything about me, but I promise you I will never forget them. Honestly though, I think I am blessed by these kids so much more than I ever bless them. From these children I learn strength, forgiveness, persistence, and not to let a situation become a handicap, or an excuse.  From this job I have learned that wealth has nothing to do with money and joy comes from knowing you have helped someone whether they will know it or not. I simply cannot imagine doing anything else. Period.

A belated Happy School Counselors Week to my fellow school counselors. I work among the best and am blessed by their enthusiasm, compassion, and genuine love for the children. I enjoyed time with many of these wonderful people last week at our counselors’ symposium, and I always know I can look to any of them on those days that I am tired and I wonder, “What do I do?”

Thoughtfully,

Becky

No comments:

Post a Comment

2020 - Not All Hindsight

           Whew! It’s now 2021 and we can officially kick 2020 to the curb until the third week of the month where it will be picked up by o...