Thursday, December 20, 2012

Jump

This blog somehow escaped transition from FB to my blogger page... I wrote it this summer, for my loves Liam and Mary.


The Extra Penny

To Liam and Mary – Jump

 

So I am writing my second blog of the day because there is so much stirring inside of me I need to get out; not just to Liam and Mary, but to myself and perhaps to someone else who may need this as well.

 

So I eagerly press ‘accept’ on my cell the other night because it is my son calling from Florida. He is visiting his cousins and having a ball. The excitement in his voice tells as much as his stories of the golf games, his time on the campus at WFU, sailing, etc. Then he says “Oh! Did I tell you about the alligator we saw while canoeing?” As I stammer with words, he manages to get his out more articulately. Apparently while the boys were canoeing they encounter an alligator “as long as our canoe” (about 9’) and “we could reach out and touch it if we’d wanted to”. My heart raced with words of warning, but I realized the encounter was over, he was excited, he had seen something I probably never will, and he was safe. I was almost, well, envious! Wow! Liam is smart and I trust he didn’t try to pet the thing, but he saw nature, in nature. He was taken away with it and appreciated the beauty of it.

 

Earlier this same day I had taken Mary Abbott and a couple of her friends to Pt. Mallard. She runs up to me and with giddiness exclaims “I jumped off the 2nd platform!” I was so excited for her, because I remember taking that same plunge as a young girl. It is terrifying when you look down and realize how high up you really are. She said she kept her feet flat and they stung, but it was worth it. I was glad she didn’t ask first for some strange reason.  She was proud. So was I.

 

When my sisters and I were kids we did stupid things. The fact that we are all alive and healthy is still absolutely beyond me. Being raised in the sleepy town of Trinity we had to invent things to occupy our time. One of our favorite summer activities was to prop up the cushions from the outdoor furniture on the ground and roll, yes, do the dead-man’s roll off of the garage roof onto the cushions. Granted, the drop was only about 6 feet where we would roll, but still. We also had a designated ‘watcher’ who would watch for cars in the street while we would skateboard down Resse’s hill with immense momentum and no ability to stop. You had to really trust the ‘watcher’ and hope they weren’t mad at you for some reason. These are just a couple of things we have only recently shared with our mom.

 

My point is I love that my kids have no fear. I used to have no fear. When I had my car packed to leave for Auburn I told Mom, “I don’t really remember how to get there”. She said “Just follow everyone else with an Auburn decal.” I did! Seriously! I got there.  I don’t know when I learned fear, but I know that I am learning from my kids to get back to that and I am so grateful. I know that the things I regret the most are things I didn’t do. I don’t want you, Liam and Mary, doing stupid things like drinking and driving or doing drugs, but I want you to live and love with reckless abandon. I want you to risk you heart and laugh out loud as much as you can. Don’t worry about things that probably won’t happen. Just Jump.

 

I can promise you a few things: I promise you will get hurt; it may be your heart it may be some bumps, bruises or scrapes, it may be your feet if you forget to point them going into the water. But it’s worth what you learn from it. I promise some people will take you for granted and not understand your good nature. I promise things won’t always work out the way you plan. But I also promise you this; the giddiness from the jump is worth living in your heart over and over. I promise your heart will take more pictures than a camera ever will. I promise that for every person who may not understand or appreciate you, you will meet dozens and dozens who you will love and who will love you back. I promise God’s plan is bigger and better than yours anyway.

 

So please, be careful, look at the alligator but keep your hands inside the canoe. And point your toes when you jump. But jump!

I love you both,

Mom

P.S. On the days that I’m afraid, remind me to jump, too.

1 comment:

  1. I have often looked at young kids and been envious of their lack of pause when they are doing what some adults would consider risky. Being on a playground and jumping from the equipment or sliding down the slide every way but the intended. Any number of activites that make their parent's heart skip a beat. I've also tried to remember when in my life did I lose that fearlessness, of course having that back may have caused many additional trips to the ER as I got older. Awesome note to your kids and to all of us who need to Jump more often.

    ReplyDelete

2020 - Not All Hindsight

           Whew! It’s now 2021 and we can officially kick 2020 to the curb until the third week of the month where it will be picked up by o...